Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Last day in Venice

 Jon and I started the morning early cause I wanted to see Piazza San Marco without tons of people. It was cool! We went up the belltower and LOVED the views of the city. Found my favorite clock that is rung by moving giants...and it rang while we were up top to see it! Super cool.

 And I must admit I have one regret in Venice, I found out on our last day that you can go to the island I'm pointing to in this picture where they quarantined plague victims! How did I not know about this place until it was too late?! If I ever get to go back I will head there first!
 But the piazza was splendid. We took a guided tour of the Doge's palace. Talk about elaborate decorations....sheesh!

 And that bridge of sighs from the inside.
 And I loved the graffiti left by prisoners.

 And then onto Saint Marks basilica. Probably my favorite church interior, but once again no pictures, so believe me, gold mosaics are pretty, ok?

 We then explored a bit-- and Jon and I stumbled on my favorite doorway leading to a canal in Venice. Then we took a guided walking tour and learned a few more things about Venice we hadn't learned before.

 And took a group gondola ride on this gondola named Luca (River of Time fan in me was HAPPY). Not entirely romantic to share a gondola with 2 other couples....but it was still a ride!



Then that evening we went to a fancy dinner, and then to an opera. Lots of fun to be sitting in Venice listening to an opera! I felt so out of time-- naughty that I didn't have on a proper corset and ankle covering skirts. Totally fun! Venice really was my favorite.

No comments: