Wednesday, July 28, 2010

What the F?!

**This post contains LARGE amounts of TMI, so readers beware!**

So as you all know, I'm still breastfeeding. Mostly I think I like it. Not only is it good for Kate, it's FREE (which is HUGE motivation for me!). But there are a few things about it I am NOT a fan of.

#1: BIG BOOBS
I have always been on the larger side of things....so I should be used to this feeling. But yesterday I went to the store to get a new nursing bra, and I wasn't prepared for the outcome. Sadly, my girls have decided to grow! I guess they didn't like the sound of E....they wanted to be labeled F. (Hence the post title....I wanted an excuse to use that phrase and not get in trouble! I know, I'm such a rebel!) I mean come on!! How much longer can they possibly get bigger! Is this normal????!!! I mean Kate is almost 8 months now! Geesh. I can't wait for the day I get to be a C or even a D again. And I used to think that was big....

#2: Being bitten
Thankfully Kate still hasn't had any teeth cut yet.....because she likes to attack me! She will be nursing along, and with NO warning she will chomp down and PULL away as hard as she can. It makes me teary....it KILLS! So I need advice. I've heard that you should take the nipple away when they bite, then give it back....but she does it so fast and naturally pulls away....making that technique pointless. I have also heard you should flick them in the nose and tell them no. I tried this once, and she cried....I don't have the heart to do that one anymore. Anyone with ANY ideas PLEASE HELP! Nursing will be kinda hard to do if Kate breaks the equipment!

#3: Kate pulling on my shirt when she thinks she's hungry
Are there ways to teach your kid not to pull on your shirt and try to get at your boobs when it isn't quite time to feed yet?! I feel so weird sitting in church when Kate is feeling me up!

#4: Nursing in public
I've complained about this before, but next week Kate and I are going to Girls Camp for 3 days with our 30 Young Women from church....and I'm stressing about how awkward it is going to be feeding here there!

Well I'll quit complaining....but any tips/pointers/help are GREATLY appreciated!

5 comments:

Mallory said...

1: Sorry about the big boobs part...I don't know what to do with that. I was already pregnant (and therefore getting the pregnant boobs) when Benji weaned, so I haven't seen my "smaller D" boobs in a while!

2: Being bitten, thankfully, is usually a stage. I kind of hate to admit it, but I usually whacked Benji's head whenever he did something that hurt while nursing! Some people suggest pulling the baby's face into your breast, but that never worked for me, because Benji was fast, too! So I whacked. And yelled. And he eventually got over it.

3: As soon as he learned how to pull at my shirt, Benji never stopped until a couple weeks after weaning! Sorry. Don't know how to help there, either! :D

4: I already wrote you a book about nursing in public (on your other post). So I won't go there again. But Girl's Camp is probably the BEST place to start getting used to going public! They are all girls. And they are all younger than you (other than other leaders, I guess) so they pretty much think you are the coolest person and can do no wrong. Plus, you will be a great example to them, so they will be more likely to nurse when they become mothers!

Way to go for keeping up with the nursing! It makes me so happy when more people put effort into making the nursing relationship last!

Shurtliff Family said...

Sarah, I totally have some pointers for you. I think it would take too long to write it down (plus I just did and it erased it all) and decribe the perfect remedy for nursing in public. If you want, you can call me at (208) 520-2764.

Lauren said...

Solomon has been doing it too. Chomping down and then pulling away. I agree - it kills. What seems to work for me is to just sit him up and firmly tell him no. If he keeps doing it, we take a break for a little while. And he usually gets the picture!

K. C. said...

1. Ok, I've never even been close to your normal boob size except when I was first engorged. So, I don't know what to say but "JEALOUS!" :)

2. Jimmy's never done that. Sorry! Hope she gets over that soon!

3. Make Jon hold her in church! :D

4. I agree with Mallory! They are all girls and all have the same equipment. And you will be setting a good example for them.

I am so glad you are still nursing, too. Unfortunately, I've had to supplement because we've gone on vacations and used formula so Jimmy needs more than I can make now. I love it because it;s good for baby, it's free and it keeps your period from starting!

Grazel & Grayson said...

Ok so I am not sure if you are still having the biting issue but when Grayson was nursing he only bit me a few times that I can remember. My sister Amy gave me some great advice about how to make it stop. Once they bite you put them down abruptly! No nice placing them down make no eye contact and say NOTHING and walk away. Leave them there for a minute few minutes at least long enough for you to figure out the damage and calm down. Then smile go back in and pick them up. DO that everytime and it will stop. I did it twice and Grayson NEVER bit me again. I nursed till he was 18 months and he was less than a year when I did this.

Amy said that hit usually does not work cause they do not understand. But if you take them off without a word put them down and walk away they get mommy leaves when I do this and it stops.