Friday, March 9, 2012

A Car Confession

Ok, there is one thing about having another baby that is starting to nag at my mind.

My car is small. It works great for 3 people, but that is just about it. But add one more car seat and it will be FULL on a normal basis. Then cue hurricane season. What if we have to evacuate?! We would have to fit our sweet dog in there too somehow, cause he is part of the family! I guess he could sit in the passenger seat with whoever isn't driving, not the most cozy arrangement. I am starting to realize that eventually I will have to part with my car. That fact deeply saddens me! I love my little car! It was a cheap car, so our monthly payments are so small I barely notice them when I pay them. It is cheap on gas because its tiny and a stick shift. I only get gas like once every two weeks. And one of the biggest things I will miss about my car is the day-dreaming time it gives me. You see, on occasion (ya know when my kid isn't in the backseat with me killing the fantasy....so these times are rare) I like to pretend that my car is my dream car (a mustang if anyone is planning on winning the lottery). I crank up the music, and race people down the streets! I love changing gears and pretending I'm driving something with lots of power built for speed! Funny enough this fantasy works for me. It helps me fight off the longing for a 'cooler' or more 'hip' version of myself. Sometimes, and only sometimes I mourn the loss of my 'younger years'. I was 19 when I got married and now at 25 will have 2 kids! And I realize that with those kids my dream car gets farther and farther out of my reach (if I think the backseat of my current car doesn't seem compatible with 2 car seats that barely existent 'seat' in the back of a 'stang will never work for my life!). So I am clinging to my current car as long as I can. I need to at least play pretend every once and awhile! It will take a lot more work for my imagination to turn my mini van into a 'stang. I guess I should start practicing!

4 comments:

Shurtliff Family said...

I like confessions and this one was particulary fun to read. Love it!

Shurtliff Family said...

Oops...particularly I meant.

The Fishers said...

You crack me up!

Rachel said...

Our little Ford Focus hatch-back will only barely hold our three car-seats in a week... We've already practiced when our nieces and nephews were here this past Christmas, and the doors just shut, but nothing else fits (except for on the floor- yeah for short legs!).
It's a great little car, but getting too little, just like yours. Hope we both get used to the idea of changing cars soon!